[mythtv-users] HD-PVR playback--high CPU usage

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Thu Mar 25 16:08:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 15:13 +0000, Andre wrote:

> [...]

I've got a system with AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+,
and I have never been able to get HD-PVR recordings to play back
smoothly without VDPAU. With VDPAU, it was a piece of cake. With VDPAU,
I was even able to get an old Celeron-based front end to play back HD
recordings (letterboxed on an SD TV). So this may depend on how much
money you have to spend vs. how much your time is worth, and how much
you enjoy tinkering with the system. You could spend hours playing with
HD-PVR settings and maybe get it to work, or spend $60 on a video card
that can do VDPAU and be done with it.

Another thing to think about is the output settings of the STB that
feeds the HD-PVR. Forcing that to be constant removes one variable in
what the HD-PVR will do.

--Greg