[mythtv-users] Overlapping recordings on SAME channel w/ one tuner

Chris Adams rocket at extremelan.net
Fri Mar 26 00:39:01 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Jeff Evans <jeffe at tricab.com> wrote:

>> IMHO, your buying additional capture cards is /immensely/ cheaper
>> than the amount of code required to do what you're asking.
>>
>> If you don't have enough capture cards to record what you want,
>> you need more capture cards.
>
> Ahh, but I'm using a STB, and each extra STB needs an extra
> subscription, an extra blaster, an extra capture card.. etc...
>
> This setup quickly becomes unwieldy and costly.
>
>> Please read (all 5 pages of) the thread at
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/195124#195124 for
>> a small sampling of some of the things you're forgetting.  Though
>> that's all related to "soft padding," many of the same issues occur
>> when trying to do overlapping recordings.
>
> Thanks for the ref.
> I do realise that this feature isn't straight forward.
> I'm just curious as to whether there is any interest in pursuing its
> implementation.
>
> Cheers, Jeff.

Hi Jeff. I didn't mean to sound as harsh as I did with that.
Seriously, it came out far surlier than it sounded when I wrote it.
I'm a chilled out guy, honest! Bloody e-mail. Anyway. The reason I
said it's a corner case is that from lurking here for a while, it
sounds like a design goal of myth (at least since multirec) is 1:1
mapping between a file being written to disk and a tuner. Otherwise
you've got to deal with lots more complexity in the scheduler so that
would've another reason to do virtual tuners/multirec.

I can totally respect costs increasing pretty quickly with multiple
STBs/subscriptions. Providers here in AU offer cheaper
second/third/4th box but it's a waste when you just want to overlap
recordings. So that's not a solution.

If you could get multirec to work with your STB you'd be set - you
could have 2 virtual tuners and set up rules with your overlap and the
scheduler ought to just work it out. It should also be smart enough
not to re-tune.

If it needs a patch it would be useful for other STB users..

Cheers
Chris