[mythtv-users] Adding a 2nd HD3000

Robert Koblish rkoblish at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 06:29:59 UTC 2010

Hi, all --

I'm running Mythbuntu 9.10, I am adding a second HD3000 to my master
backend. The system's been running OK with a single tuner. I have been
using multirec=4 so that I could record up to 4 programs off the same
PBS station simultaneously -- I have seen it use two successfully. Now
I want to enable the second physical tuner. It's been installed in the
box for a while, but I'd not told Myth about it. I now have them both
connected (through a passive splitter) to the same antenna. I verified
that the signal strengths displayed for the existing tuner were still
adequate and I am getting a decent picture from it on all channels.

In Myth Backend Configuration have added the new HD3K to the Tuners,
and it showed up as DVB1. I had named the first one as "Internal#1" so
I called the second one "Internal#2". I pointed it toward the same
source, Antenna1. Even though I have enabled only the RF input on each
tuner for now, I might want to use one of their SVideo inputs someday,
so I left each tuner in its own individual group (instead of
"generic"). I ran mythfilldatabase, thinking that this would initiate
a reschedule. I did not run a channel scan at first, thinking that the
channels would all be the same.

Now I see in mythwelcome that I have gone from 4 virtual tuners to 8,
as expected. But Myth does not seem to use it -- when I view live TV
and go to switch tuners, it stays on the one. When I enable PIP I can
select only channels from the same transmitter. And my recording
conflicts have not gone away.

I ran mythbackend with the --rescan argument. Still no joy.

In dmesg I can see the firmware being loaded into both tuners. I did
not see anything obvious in the backend log.

Is there something I am missing? Do I need to run a channel scan or
something? (I am afraid that it would mess up my carefully renamed
channel list). How can I troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance,
Bob Koblish
Cincinnati