[mythtv-users] 24fps Movies and new 120Hz LCD TV

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 14:09:48 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Kevin Ross <kevin at familyross.net> wrote:

> > > some video funkiness.  I can fix it if I start a region 1 ISO of a
> > DVD then
> > > exit.  It updates the refresh rate to 60Hz and all is well again.  I
> > think
> > > there should be a setting for refresh rate of the GUI and a dynamic
> > refresh
> > > rate for material.
> >
> > Why?
> > How does having a 24Hz refresh rate or 60Hz refresh rate makes any
> > difference for displaying a static content like a menu ?
>
> I would suggest MythTV should put things back "the way it found it" after
> playing a video.  There may be other programs the user wishes to run on the
> FE machine that doesn't like the new refresh rate, e.g. playing games via
> MythGame, watching streams with MythNetVision, alt-tabbing to another
> program, or launching a different player from MythVideo for a different
> filetype.
>
> I haven't actually tried running with 24Hz, so maybe it already does some
> of
> this, and I don't know what I'm talking about.  Wouldn't be the first time.
> :)

OK.  After doing testing yesterday, I remember what my issue was.  At one
point, I was playing AVI files w/ mplayer from the FE.  So if I watched a
video at 24Hz using INTERNAL, the refresh rate would stay at 24Hz after the
video ended.  Then I watched an AVI w/ mplayer and the refresh rate caused
bad framerate issues.  That's why I think that the refresh rate should be
brought back to the default after a video ends.

Also, JYA, you were right about the 50Hz issue on 60hZ TVs.  INTERNAL did up
the refresh rate to 60Hz on my 50Hz material.  I do want to thank you for
the help you've provided with this patch to INTERNAL.  It's a really cool
feature and I can definitely see the difference in video playback.  Thanks
so much!

Jim