[mythtv-users] No analog sound under mythtv .23

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 23:34:14 UTC 2010

Hi

On 28 March 2010 04:21, Dan Armbrust <daniel.armbrust.list at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried upgrading my mythbuntu server to the autobuilds - which got me
> to  mythbackend version: branches/release-0-23-fixes [23789]
>
> I have MythTV hooked up to my external receiver with a toslink cable.
>
> My digital tuners work fine - I get digtial, 5.1 sound out of myth -
> and in .23, the sound settings finally make sense - you select 5.1 to
> get 5.1 instead of stereo.  Yay!
>
> Unfortunately, if I try to watch tv using my analog tuner, I no longer
> get any sound at all.
>
> I've tried checking the box for "upconvert to 5.1" (I think that is
> what it is called, anyway) - and then MythTV just crashes.
> If I leave it unchecked, I get no sound, and my reciver keeps
> indicating that the signal is going from stereo to analog, over and
> over.

Can you file a bug and provide a backtrace of that crash ?

upconvert to 5.1 in analog will only work if you have set your sound
configuration to 5.1 (well hopefully that's what it does).

If you want surround sound working with analog output, you have to
select an analog multiple channels output ; depending on your
motherboard the name will change ; it's usually ALSA:surround51

If you only have say a 4.0 system connected ; you will have to select
a 5.1 output anyway ; then use the ALSA configuration file to output
the missing channels to the existing output.

Mark Goldberg has such system configured ; maybe he will be able to
provide more information on how he get is very particular
configuration working