[mythtv-users] Graphic cards supporting VDPAU and sound over HDMI

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Mon Mar 29 17:00:33 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 4:28 AM, Peter Carlsson <maillist.peter at home.se> wrote:

> Sorry about the late response. I never received any response about my
> question regarding GDDR3 vs GDDR5. Just wondering if anyone knows if
> MythTV will benefit for one or the other. Is there anything else that
> is better (power consumption, heat, etcetera) for one or the other?

Mors Peter,

Ignoring the fact that the question is actually unanswerable because
power consumption of an overall card depends on many factors
(including how much memory is installed), there are indeed throughput
and heat differences between the two - but if you aren't going to
dual-boot and run the very latest generation of Windows-only games,
you don't care.  Instead, compare the power consumption, noise level,
number of outputs, size, shape, and color of the overall cards.

Said another way, even with VDPAU, MythTV is not doing anything that
justifies the benefits of any particular memory type to begin with,
much less GDDR3 or GDDR5.

Have fun,

   Marc