[mythtv-users] 8400 VDPAU only Bob2x

Dan Armbrust daniel.armbrust.list at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 19:20:50 UTC 2010

> I tried a 220 before and that fan was like a jet engine!  Id rather have
> silence then adv 2x!
> --

Myself, I bought a XFX GT220XZNF2 GeForce GT 220 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI
Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - which has a fan -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150446 - and
the fan is very quiet.  You will not hear this video card above a
normal processor fan.

The only way it would be an issue is if the rest of your hardware is
perfectly silent.

It appears that they discontinued that board (already?  I just bought
it...) and replaced it with

XFX GT220XZHF2 GeForce GT 220 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
HDCP Ready Video Card -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150468

The fan and heatsink look the same... though the board layout is
slightly different.

One disappointment I did have with this card is that from the
pictures, I thought it would fit within a single slot.  However, it
does not.  The heatsink hangs down too far, and impedes the card that
would be placed in the slot below it.  You can get the next card in
there... but the backside of the board of the card below will be
touching the heatsink.  Which would be bad :(

I don't know if the updated version of the card fixes this issue or
not.  I see (from the pics) that it doesn't stick out to the back as
far... (but that wasn't a problem for me anyway) but I can't tell
about the height of the heatsink from the provided pics.  If it was
even an 1/8" of an inch shorter, you would be able to use the next
slot for some other card.