[mythtv-users] Possible to do HDMI audio with BFG GT 220 Rev B?

Mudit Wahal mwahal at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 03:03:27 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 3:47 PM, James Crow <crow.jamesm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Calvin Harrigan <
> charriglists at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

>> "...This means that a DVI-D source can drive an HDMI monitor, or vice
>>> versa, by means of a suitable adapter or cable. However, the audio and
>>> remote-control features of HDMI will not be available unless the output
>>> supports HDMI via a DVI plug (e.g., ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX
>>> 200-series video cards)."
>>>

>> Some 9xxx series nvidia also support PCM over hdmi via a small connector
>> on the card it self.  You can connect the spdif output to this connector and
>> have the audio encoded into the data stream to the set.
>>

> Some of the 8xxx Nvidia cards are also able to include digital audio in the
> DVI output. I have a 8400GS that has spdif input and then outputs the video
> and audio on the dvi port that is then connected to my TV's HDMI port.
>
> I have no idea about 7xxx and 6xxx Nvidia cards, but I think those are less
> interesting from a Myth point of view.
>
> Cheers,
> James
>

> There is something called DVI-I/HDMI 24+5 pin. Its specifically designed to
carry audio over the DVI to HDMI connector.  The way it works is that you
connect the audio cable (2 pins only, ground and signal) from your
motherboard spdif connector to the spdif connector on the video card. So,
the audio is carried from the mobo spdif to the vga spdif and out to
DVI-I/HDMI. I have this setup and it works in Windows XP (although I'm
running Mac OSX 10.6.2 and I can't make it work in OSX).