[mythtv-users] Video Sources, scheduling and recordings history

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Mar 30 05:43:46 UTC 2010

On 03/29/2010 03:20 PM, Kirk Bocek wrote:
> On 3/29/2010 11:59 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> and card inputs (card input priorities are evil).
>>
> Why? I have two basic sources: a couple of HD Homeruns and a couple
> of DTA's hooked up to a PVR-500. The HDHRs always make smaller and
> better recordings. I use card input priorities to give preference to
> the HDHRs. You got a better way?

Details in all the posts I linked.  :)  Basically, you should connect
inputs in the order of preference and leave the input priorities at 0.
If you don't, you need to read /all/ of Section 12 of the HOWTO.
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html

It all comes down to the fact that in the end--regardless of the fact
that you can specify priority for recording rules, channels, and card
inputs--there's only one priority when it comes time to record, and its
entire purpose is to say how much you want to record a show.  So card
input priority does /not/ say, "now that you're going to record it, I'd
prefer you record it here."  Likewise (and more generally), it does not
say, "Record it here, if possible, or elsewhere, if not."

Mike

Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention that we also support Custom Priority in
MythTV.  Custom Priority--like so many technological advances--can be
used for good or for evil.