[mythtv-users] Can't watch LiveTV with the Hauppauge HD-PVR

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 15:41:14 UTC 2010

[correcting top-post to preserve readability]

> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The problem comes with watching LiveTV in the MythFrontend.  Using the
>>> gnome desktop, I launch MythFrontend from a terminal.  When I choose
>>> Watch TV from the main menu, it just displays "Please Wait..." and
>>> then quits.  This is the error that I see repeating ad nauseum in the
>>> the terminal window:
>>>
>>> Error: Invalid file descriptor in 'safe_read()'
>>> 2010-03-26 18:38:40.846
>>> RingBuf(/home/iengel/Videos/LiveTVcache/1391_20100326183818.mpg)
>>>
>>> followed by:
>>>
>>> 2010-03-26 18:38:40.871 NVP::OpenFile(): Error, couldn't read file:
>>> /home/iengel/Videos/LiveTVcache/1391_20100326183818.mpg
>>> 2010-03-26 18:38:40.871 TV: StartPlayer(0, Watching WatchingLiveTV,
>>> main) -- end error
>>> 2010-03-26 18:38:40.871 TV Error: LiveTV not successfully started
>>> 2010-03-26 18:38:40.873 ScreenSaverX11Private: DPMS Deactivated 1
>>> 2010-03-26 18:38:40.874 ScreenSaverX11Private: DPMS Reactivated 1
>>>

>> If this were my system I'd not be asking the mythtv user to write to
>> subdir's of my user's home. This may make it easier to fix or remove this
>> issue.
>>
>> Is there a problem having the live tv recordings happen at
>> /var/lib/mythtv/livetv?
>>
>> Have you enabled the automatic trunk builds yet? Info on that is located
>> here - http://www.mythbuntu.org/auto-builds
>>
>> -JohnnyJboss
>>
>On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Ian Engelhardt <ian.engelhardt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi JohnnyJboss:
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> The reason I am not using the default storage location is that when I
> installed Ubuntu on this box, I put the bulk of the storage at the
> /home mount point. :(  As the system isn't really anywhere yet, I
> don't think it would really be a big hassle to rebuild it with the
> bulk of the disk space partitioned to the /var mount point.
>
> Thanks for the link on how to "enable the automatic trunk builds".  As
> a lot of this MythTV-Linux stuff is a bit mysterious, can you tell me
> what exactly is the advantage of enabling this...repository I assume?
> Is this to get the latest version of Mythbuntu with all the fixes?

The purpose of the auto-builds is to allow you to still use package
management in your Ubuntu based system but also be able to avail
yourself of the latest fixes for mythtv. If you want the latest fixes
without needing to learn how to compile the code - this is your best
bet.

Install this .deb package as root :
http://www.mythbuntu.org/files/mythbuntu-repos.deb

-JohnnyJboss