[mythtv-users] viewer falls asleep with the EPG open - plasma burn in concerns

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 20:50:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 8:28 PM, Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> So far I've been trying to use antspotlight which I thought was part
>>> of gnome-screensaver and managed through the xfce control panel.
>>>
>>> The only bug I have found (so far) is related to /not/ being able to
>>> poke the gnome-screensaver. I've yet to locate a bug on not being able
>>> to start it.
>>>
>> I seem to be on the right trail now...
>>
>> I can confirm that my output of gnome-power-manager --verbose shows me this:
>>
>> - DBUS error: Could not get owner of name 'org.gnome.SessionManager':
>> no such name
>>
>> as well as:
>>
>> - no gnome-session
>>
>> Is it possible that the gnome-screensaver is not valid in an xfce session?
>
> I can say that from 9.10 -> 10.4 Ubuntu changed back to xscreensaver
> instead of gnome-screensaver...
>
> -Greg

Indeed - installing xscreensaver in my mythbuntu 9.10 environment
causes 'xdg-screensaver activate' to function.

I'm still trying to determine where the issue is. I'm tempted to
believe it's a problem with xfce4-session-manager and it not accepting
calls from dbus.

As a side note - I see AntSpotlight is available in xscreensaver too.
(Laughing at self)

-Johnny