[mythtv-users] Harmony 890 Wireless Extender

Eric Yanush yanush2e at uregina.ca
Tue Mar 30 23:46:40 UTC 2010

> From: Christian Szpilfogel <chrisznews4 at rogers.com>
> Date: March 30, 2010 6:37:49 AM CST
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Harmony 890 Wireless Extender
>

> On 29/03/2010 10:13 PM, Eric Yanush wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am wondering if anyone else out there is using the harmony 890 with the remote extender connected via serial?
>>
> What do you mean by this? The 890 uses RF to communicate with the remote extender which then has 4 ports to attach the IR blasters. So it is not at all clear what your set up looks like.
>
> I use 890s and their RF extenders without issue both on Knoppmyth and LinHES. On the myth box I use a Veris Basic which is very inexpensive. There is a how-to for this in the knoppmyth forums.
>
>> I picked up an 890 for $110 a couple of days ago, and rigged up and serial to 3.5mm stereo cable.
>>
> I can't tell what is hooked up to what here. The RF extender has 4 ports for the blasters, 1 USB port, and 1 power port. If you mean the USB then I am not aware of a way to drive the RF blasters directly from the USB port. If you mean to imply the IR blaster ports then are you extending the length of these? If so then I don't believe there is enough power on the lines to extend this too far but to be fair I have not tested extending those. If you are trying to use a PC's serial port for input then I presume you mean RS-232 or equivalent. I have not tried this but it is an interesting idea but probably a lot more heavy lifting compared to using the Veris Basic.
>> Using several profiles, I cannot seem to get this to function correctly.
>> If I use the default knoppmyth profile and knoppmyth lircd.conf, after about 100 repeat presses of one button irw will register 1 press.
>>
> More detail is required here. There is no default Knoppmyth lircd.conf or profile. You have to choose the remote you want and in the Harmony set up you need to choose the same remote.
>> Using irrecord I get to the point where I enter in my first button name and record it, but it ALWAYS spits back "Something Went Wrong"??
>>
> Why are you doing this and from where? If you are trying to use irw to make up your own codes then what harmony profile are you using and for what devices
>> Any Ideas?
>>
> Perhaps if you can tell us a little more about what you are trying to do we can help.

I am following the ideas outlined here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logitech_Harmony_Wireless_Extender
						   and here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logitech_Harmony_Generic_Setup

I am basically connecting the ir blaster to a serial port, via a db9 to 3.5mm stereo which connects the extender to the mythbox.

It seems to be that it is not receiving consistent signals from the extender, and I not sure if it was a driver bug or a connection problem or something else.

Eric