[mythtv-users] change channel script limit at 2 digits (DTA100)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 31 17:16:31 UTC 2010

On 03/31/2010 10:39 AM, Scott wrote:
> On 3/31/2010 10:32 AM, Mike Holden wrote:
>> It sends the channel numbers you configured Myth to assign to the
>> channel. If the box wants 2 digits, then set the channel up with
>> those 2 digits.
> Id rather not go that route to hand modify up to 100 channels when I
> should be able to modify the script to not send 1 or 2 digits.

But your configuration is broken.  Fix it.

> Plus I dont know how that would effect my other STB.

It, too, would receive the proper channel numbers.  If they actually use
different numbers, they are /not/ the same video source.

> Modifying the script seems to be quickest and safest route. If no one
> has already done this, Ill figure it out.

The /only/ purpose of the frequency ID field in MythTV's channel
configuration for a video source with an external channel change script
is to allow users to specify some unique ID that identifies the desired
channel for the channel change script to tune.

Note, also, that your current frequency ID is the channel ID.  There is
/no/ guarantee that the channel ID is the channel number + 1000.  Also,
if you change your setup, you'll likely get new channel IDs.

You could make a table mapping channel IDs to STB channel numbers, but
since channel IDs are none of your business and MythTV is allowed to
change them as it desires, this would be a very fragile solution.

Just fix your channels.  With the MythWeb channel editor, it will take a
grand total of about 30s--even for 100 channels--as it's all shown in
one page, which you edit, then submit.

Mike