[mythtv-users] 0-22-fixes on a PPC 500mhz iBook

Michael Papet mpapet at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 31 17:25:24 UTC 2010

This is an FYI.

I've had previous versions of mythfrontend working great on a g3 ibook 500mhz.  Right now, it looks like the devs are looking at the issues with trying to get 0-22-fixes to build on it.

In terms of the laptop itself, the hardware acceleration does most of the work, so it's a very pleasurable frontend for SD over wireless ethernet.  Keep in mind, anything we keep is transcoded into SD anyway to make it a pleasure to watch recordings over wireless 'G' ethernet.

The requirements:

1. Must run Linux.  I use Debian stable with a KDE 3.x desktop.  It's a great desktop experience.  Ubuntu PPC is many times buggier.
2. Tweak PCI latency.  This meaningfully enhances the multimedia performance of the computer.  http://www.sabi.co.uk/Notes/linuxSoundLatency.html
3. No encryption on the wireless access point.  Turn encryption off and use a MAC access control list.

Questions/comments welcome.

mpapet