[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR 350 and LIRC setting up

Marc Chamberlin marc at marcchamberlin.com
Wed Mar 31 21:16:10 UTC 2010

On 3/31/2010 12:36 PM, Scott wrote:
> On 3/31/2010 3:27 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
>> From my searching around on the internet, and looking through this
>> and other mail lists, I suspect this may have been answered
>> somewhere, but I was not able to find any answers that I could grok..
>> (but lots of chatter about this remote!)  So with possible apologies
>> in advance, I wonder if some kind guru could help me get my Hauppauge
>> PVR-350 (gray) remote completely communicating with my media
>> computer? I am running SuSE 11.2 x86-64 and I have installed version
>> 0.8.5.4.1 of lirc and version 0.8.5_2.6.31.5_0.1-4.4 of the LIRC
>> kernel modules. Following instructions I have also installed the
>> kernel modules for lirc-i2c and lirc-dev.
>>
>> I am headed towards getting this working for mythTV. I have installed
>> and configure the .lircrc, lircd.conf and the lirc file in
>> /etc/sysconfig/ following instructions as best as I could. I have got
>> it going partially in that using ircat I can see the number keys are
>> being recognized, as well as the volume up/down button but nothing else.
>>
>> I dunno what files or command outputs I should include so will wait
>> until I hear further.. So anyone willing to guide me out of these
>> woods? Or point me to a good website that explains in easy to
>> understand terms what to do? Thanks in advance...
>>

>>   Marc..
>>
> what do you get from IRW?
> most likely you see some keys but not other than the button
> definitions in the lircd.conf arnt right. Install and look in the lirc
> remotes package you might find the right remote info in there. (FYI
> theres an newer lirc 0.8.6 in a repo called vdr, but you your case
> that 0.8.5 should work)
> lircrc only matter once you want to use the remote in lirc

Thanks Scott for you reply..   From IRW I get the same results as I got
from IRCAT  Just the numeric keys and the volume up/down generate any
kind of response... The numeric keys print out their corresponding
number. The volume up/down pops up a slider in a separate window which
buttons are pressed.

I got the lircd.conf file from the distribution directory -
/usr/share/lirc/remotes/hauppauge/lircd.conf.hauppauge  which has
several definitions in it for different hauppauge remotes. One of those
seems to be the correct one for my remote as it describes it and has
definitions that match exactly the set of buttons on my remote. And it
appears to be the same as the lircd.conf for the Hauppauge PVR 350 found
on the lirc website.. So I think it should be correct...

    Marc..