No subject

Wed Mar 17 21:23:44 UTC 2010

between 720p and 1080p at screen sizes less than 50" unless you're
really close to the screen. And I expect my viewing distance to be a
little above average for a 42" set. Most recommendations I've seen
have said that all other things being equal, you should save yourself
that extra $200 and stick with 720p at 42". Your comparison between a
37" 1366x768 and a 30" 1920x1200 doesn't seem like a fair one because
they're different sizes.

> On another point, since you may be switching back and forth between
> direct tuning and myth input, make sure that whichever TV you
> purchase has a simple and direct route for making that switch. When
> we purchased, my wife liked a Sharp unit (which turned out to have
> some comb artifacts which were very annoying). It required nearly a
> dozen key-presses to change inputs. The replacement LG has a
> dedicated button on the remote for that purpose. While looking (the
> second time) I noted that some Sony and Panasonice models had that
> same problem as the Sharp unit. Nothing to do with the picture, just
> a bad user interface. You're spending enough money that you should
> get something easy to use *exactly* as you want to use it.

Thanks, that's a good point. I'll investigate that on the TVs I'm
considering. Perhaps a programmable remote would be a reasonable
solution if I really like a TV but its remote is missing this
feature.