[mythtv-users] 720p plasma with myth

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat May 1 13:27:57 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com> says:
>> Mythtv also has xdg-screensaver support coming soon.
>
> That's nice (and I've read the recent thread discussing this), but
> what more would it offer me?
>
> I've had xscreensaver running on my frontend since the very beginning,
> years ago; even with a brief (10 minutes) timeout the built-in
> routines within mythfrontend have been sufficient to prevent the
> screensaver from starting when playing a recording, while properly
> permitting the saver to start during Pause or outside playback. 0.22's
> addition of regularly calling "xscreensaver-command -deactivate"
> didn't do anything mythfrontend hadn't already been doing in this
> regard, either, as far as I could tell.
>
> --
> Frontend/backend:       P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array
> Backend:                Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 6.6TB sw RAID 6
> Video inputs:           Four high-definition over FireWire/OTA
> Accessories:            47" 1080p LCD, 5.1 digital, and MX-600

Same thing hear.  I have a rear projection CRT, so burn-in is a
potential concern.  I've always had xscreensaver set up with a three
minute timeout and it's always worked great with MythTV and even with
xine and mplayer as expternal players.  I use the "noof" screen saver
for several reasons:  It's an opengl screensaver so it uses almost no
cpu, it appears to have great randomness (good for the screen) and it
looks nice.

Tom