[mythtv-users] Upgraded to 10.04, now mythfrontend gets a segmentation fault on live TV

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Sat May 1 16:52:54 UTC 2010

On 05/01/2010 09:25 AM, Kenni Lund wrote:
> 2010/5/1 Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net>:
> <SNIP>
>> I just upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04, and now mythfrontend get a segmentation fault when I try and view live TV.
> <SNIP>
> (No questions is asked, so it's kinda hard to quote the question)
>
> When you get a segmentation fault, you need to create a proper
> backtrace with symbols, otherwise no one will be able to help you out.
>
> Once you have a proper backtrace, submit a bugreport with it, you can
> use the following guide:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Debugging
>
> Best Regards
> Kenni

Ok, I followed these instructions:

Basic Backtrace

For most people, this is all that needs to be followed.

1) Install the 'mythtv-dbg' and/or 'mythplugins-dbg' packages to add debugging symbols to your system.

# sudo apt-get install mythtv-dbg mythplugins-dbg

2) Modify /etc/default/apport to set "enabled" to 1

3) Start the apport service. "sudo start apport"

4) When your crash happens, it will ask you to submit a bug report. Submit the full report. You'll need a launchpad account for this.

Step 4 did not happen. When the crash happened, mythtvfrontend just went away, it did not ask me to submit a report.
The contents of /etc/default/apport are as follows:

$ cat apport
# set this to 0 to disable apport, or to 1 to enable it
# you can temporarily override this with
# sudo service apport start force_start=1
enabled=1

# set maximum core dump file size (default: 209715200 bytes == 200 MB)
maxsize=209715200

What should I have done differently?