[mythtv-users] trouble with second HD-PVR

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sat May 1 20:50:05 UTC 2010

Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> says:
> I have purchased a second HD-PVR box to go along with the one I have
> had for a couple of years now. The first one works wonderfully and
> always has; the second one I cannot get to work, although dmesg
> recognizes it just fine.

Although you don't mention it I presume that you've tried swapping the
new one in the existing one's place and running it solo.

The HD-PVR seems really, really fragile. My D2 unit, itself back from
RMA as replacement for a C1 unit, worked for a few weeks but is now as
far as I can tell stone cold dead; no video passthrough, and no
response from within Linux although the driver recognizes it. A
developer told me recently that he's possessed four units because two
of them died.

I don't know how much of the trouble is the hardware itself and how
much is a Linux driver which may still need some work[1]--the fact
that you can use the unit from Windows but not Linux is both
reassuring and troubling--but in any case it's dismaying.

[1] Janne Grunau, the author, doesn't need to use the HD-PVR himself
and did us a big favor by writing it despite having to go to
considerable lengths just to test it.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array