[mythtv-users] Cannot load language en_us for module Mythtv 0.23

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Mon May 3 11:45:23 UTC 2010

Hi Mike!

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Great!  That works, too.  Thanks.  :)

No problem...

I have submitted it in ticket #8414 (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8414).

>> I already know how to use the tools so it's going pretty well...
>
> That is the biggest challenge for taking on this task.

Yep and there is not as much incentive to do this as for the other languages since
the application is already (almost exclusively) in US English.

People using other variants of English (like British) actually have a lot more
incentive to do this as they can change the spelling to the one appropriate for their
language/variant.

>> BTW, I did see some British (or at least not US) English in there (for
>> example "programme"...)
>
> Yeah, we should probably make them all consistent, but at least with the
> translations, we can make each localization consistent--even if the
> in-code messages aren't.  :)

Or "localisation consistent" (British spelling... (-; ).

There are also some "favourites" in MythGame... I had changed the spelling of one of
them in ticket 7473 (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7473) when I made it
translatable but I hadn't touched the others...

The funny thing is that here (Canada **) I believe "programme" is an accepted
spelling and "favourites" is the correct spelling...

(Since it's not my mother tongue my own English tends to be a mix between Canadian
and US English so I could be wrong...)

BTW, I did document some of these issues in the translation (using "translator
comments" in Qt Linguist) so that I could eventually submit patches to correct them
in the source code. The only thing annoying about these "translator comments" is that
they are not currently searchable (http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-4165).

Have a nice day!

Nick

** Canada, eh? That's the reason why I say "French *language* translation team" when
I refer to the translation team I am part of instead of just saying "French
translation team" (to make the distinction between the language and the nationality).
  AFAIK all the other team members live in France.