[mythtv-users] Cannot load language en_us for module Mythtv 0.23

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon May 3 13:42:19 UTC 2010

On 05/03/2010 07:45 AM, Nicolas Riendeau wrote:
> Hi Mike!
>
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Great!  That works, too.  Thanks.  :)
>
> No problem...
>
> I have submitted it in ticket #8414
> (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8414).

Thanks a lot.  Some of the other devs were surprised--and amused--that
when we finally got an en_us translation, it came from someone on the
French trans^H^H^H^H^Hlanguage translation team.

>>> I already know how to use the tools so it's going pretty well...
>>
>> That is the biggest challenge for taking on this task.
>
> Yep and there is not as much incentive to do this as for the other
> languages since
> the application is already (almost exclusively) in US English.
>
> People using other variants of English (like British) actually have a
> lot more
> incentive to do this as they can change the spelling to the one
> appropriate for their
> language/variant.
>
>>> BTW, I did see some British (or at least not US) English in there
>>> (for example "programme"...)
>>
>> Yeah, we should probably make them all consistent, but at least with
>> the translations, we can make each localization consistent--even if
>> the in-code messages aren't.  :)
>
> Or "localisation consistent" (British spelling... (-; ).
>
> There are also some "favourites" in MythGame... I had changed the
> spelling of one of
> them in ticket 7473 (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7473) when I
> made it
> translatable but I hadn't touched the others...
>
> The funny thing is that here (Canada **) I believe "programme" is an
> accepted spelling and "favourites" is the correct spelling...
>
> (Since it's not my mother tongue my own English tends to be a mix
> between Canadian
> and US English so I could be wrong...)
>
> BTW, I did document some of these issues in the translation (using
> "translator
> comments" in Qt Linguist) so that I could eventually submit patches to
> correct them in the source code. The only thing annoying about these
> "translator comments" is that
> they are not currently searchable
> (http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-4165).
>
> Have a nice day!
>
> Nick
>
> ** Canada, eh? That's the reason why I say "French *language*
> translation team" when I refer to the translation team I am part of
> instead of just saying "French translation team" (to make the
> distinction between the language and the nationality).  AFAIK all the
> other team members live in France.

Correcting those issues is exactly the kind of thing Robert McNamara was
asking for in
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/434589#434589 .  So, if
you get a chance to work on some of them, we'd be very grateful.

Thanks, again.

Mike