[mythtv-users] VDPAU 9300 vs 9400 ?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Mon May 3 14:20:30 UTC 2010

On 03/05/2010 14:15, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> I have a E8500 C2D on that box ; so I don't know what slow UI means :)

:-) Yes - I have the 6850 or whatever the older 3Ghz chip is - having
changed to an Atom is a distinct slowdown with the gui!!  Right now it
takes 5-10 secs to switch to Music or enter into the TV Recordings
screens (I think I have around 500 items in my "to watch" screen and
some few hundred CDs in music)

I think it could be fixed potentially with some work on speeding up
filling list boxes (just a hunch), but I'm quite short of time to work
on that, so I have to consider it something of a negative for the moment.

For you it would probably work to get something like the Zotac with
onboard 9300, or get the newer NM10 based boards (saves 10W apparently!)
and use the fanless GT240 as per below - in my case I really need the
PCI slot so this isn't going to work out... (Darn)

> I can't say I've ever seen a 240GT fanless yet

Never seen one in the flesh, but google claims that 220/240 fanless
cards exist:
     http://www.google.co.uk/products?oe=UTF-8&gfns=1&q=silent+gt240

I believe that I would need to go to a 240 to actually get something
usefully better than an 8400gt? However, a quick search suggests that
this is a 70W ish power consumption part, so it's quite a significant
item to cool...

In comparison my Atom 330 has had it's fan cable cut and it's steadied
at 50->60C with zero cooling in a box containing no fans at all... Not
ideal, but also not bad for fully fanless with a tiny heatsink (that
temp range is idle to fully loaded).

Hmm, tough to figure out what to do here....  Seriously considering a
Mac Mini, but I would need to switch to firewire audio for my needs...

Ho Hum.

Thanks for taking the time to respond all

Ed W