[mythtv-users] Wrong image size (and resolution problems)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 5 13:31:10 UTC 2010

On 05/05/2010 08:49 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Alan Ferrero wrote:
>> I have a strange visualization problem: the size of the image I get on
>> the TV screen is a little bit smaller than it should be, resulting in a
>> black frame all around it.
>
> My guess is that the computer is creating an image with a black border
> on the assumption that the TV will crop off the outside of the image
> as overscan. I know that when I use my Mac to drive a TV then under
> options I can either use the full display and lose the outside, or
> have a smaller image with black border.

I'd guess that the TV is telling the computer that the screen
resolution/timings are different from what they need to be for a
full-screen image and/or the TV is automatically underscanning the
signal from the computer "so users can see the Windows Start Bar."

Most TV's will give you a "Made for MS Windows" display unless you
configure X appropriately--a task which may be made more challenging now
that most distros are switching to config-less X.

Mike