[mythtv-users] hosed database (again)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 6 03:17:21 UTC 2010

On 05/05/2010 06:03 PM, Mike McMullin wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 17:12 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>>>     I know it was working Tuesday as I watched something that I had
>>> recorded Monday Night, and the only thing that I know of that changed
>>> was a security update in mysql just a couple of hours ago.
>>>
>>>     What on earth am I looking at in terms of a problem and how do I fix
>>> this mess?
>>>
>> This looks like your system upgraded mysql versions and didn't run the
>> mysql_upgrade script, which upgrades the binary data files.
>>
>    <sigh>   Yeah well there's at least one person on the oS list bitching
> about the mysql update, his was nuked completely in favour of mariadb
>
>> I would fix it by deleting the entire mysql data file directory
>> structure, then re-initializing the database server (with
>> mysql_install_db ), then restoring my mythconverg backup.  That would be
>> the over kill approach.
>>
>> If you don't want to do it that way, you can see if running
>> mysql_upgrade fixes it.  Make sure you also run a mysqlcheck after
>> mysql_upgrade, just in case.  If that doesn't work, I recommend talking
>> with either some people using your distro or some people who know MySQL.
>>
>    Frankly, what i need is the time to migrate from oS over to Ubuntu
> (10.04) as my primary boot, I'm no longer happy with all the
> maintainence that oS now requires (I just spent 30 minutes redoing my x
> configuration for some stupid reason.)  I tried the mysql_upgrade, and
> it died with the following error:
>
> P-733-Lin:/usr/bin # ./mysql_upgrade
> Looking for 'mysql' in: /usr/bin/mysql
> Looking for 'mysqlcheck' in: /usr/bin/mysqlcheck
> Running 'mysqlcheck'...
> /usr/bin/mysqlcheck: Got error: 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL
> server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) when trying to
> connect
> FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed

Might be able to get around that by:

mv /etc/my.cnf /etc/my.cnf-broken

>    So atm, I also have problems with the db software and not just the db.
> <sigh>   Well off the oS list.
>
>> In general, any time you (or your distro) change the MySQL server, you
>> should ensure you've made a nice backup of your MythTV database (and,
>> really, any other databases you have) before making those changes.  See
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore for info on using
>> the MythTV backup script to create a backup of the MythTV database.
>>
>     Can 0.21 actually do this automatically?  I did a locate for the
> various *.sql.gz files and I'm getting nada, even in the directory that
> they're located in.

The backup and restore scripts were not a part of 0.21-fixes or below;
however, they work with any version of MythTV at all, so you can
download the ones linked in that page and use them before upgrading from
0.21-fixes...  Well, I should say, "You could have..."  :)

Mike