[mythtv-users] OT: Advice on choosing a TV

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Fri May 7 13:44:33 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 8:27 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>wrote:

> OK.  So to wade into this OT pool, I to have set a particular price
> point at which I will buy and trying to decide between a Samsung (what I
> have come to understand is a "Series 5" set) PN50C540 and a Panasonic
> (VIERA® U1 Series) TC-P50U1.  Both are 1080p plasmas with 1920x1080
> native resolution.
>
> The Samsung most definitely has more bells and whistles with DLNA, but
> given that I am hooking up a Mythbox to it, perhaps those features are
> not as important as they would be otherwise.  Although, I don't think
> Myth, even yet, handles plug-n-play of, say, a USB stick with movies,
> music and photos on it.  But I digress.
>
> Anyone have any objective opinions on those two sets, or at least the
> product lines they come from?
>
> Or am I missing out on a completely different brand and/or option in the
> same price range (C$1100)?
>
> FWIW, I did do an "in-store" side-by-side comparison of a Samsung
> (PN50C550, which is the same as the PN50C540 but with an additional
> HDMI, AFAIU -- the 540 and 550 certainly share the same user manual) set
> and an LG (1080p plasma) and I just found the LG picture washed
> out/faded.  It didn't seem as brilliant as the Samsung picture.

I recently bought the Samsung 46" LN46C630 which was released in March of
this year.  I'm not sure if it's available in your country.

I bought it from Fry's at a heavy discount (kept an eye on Slickdeals for a
few days) and I'm very pleased with the LCD.  I had been considering last
year's model (B630).  I like the C630 since it's a matte screen.  Even
though it's in my bedroom at the moment and we can darken the room, I didn't
want a glossy screen.  It plays really nice with the Zotac ION motherboard
using HDMI for video and sound.  No fancy surround at the moment and I'm NOT
disappointed with the down-firing speakers.

/Brian/