[mythtv-users] MythTV to MythVideo, best and easiest solution for Mythbuntu 10.4?

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Fri May 7 13:51:48 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 8:44 AM, Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld at gmx.ch> wrote:
> I have a quite small partition (225GB) for the root-filesystem including
> /var/lib/recordings. It's now half filled after 1 month. A much larger
> disk is mounted on /var/lib/mythtv/videos.
>
> Also, there is the backup issue. I backup the videos folder with rsync
> to a remote machine (ssh) once a week. I wouldn't do that with the
> recordings folder, because this would make the backup run for hours
> after a week of new recordings, many of which I don't want to keep
> anyway.

Your request makes some more sense with a description of your setup
and what you are trying to do (segregate archive/backup/non-backup
recordings etc.).  Moving recordings to mythvideo on a separate
partition will work.  But there might be a better way.  Check out the
mythlink script: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl  With that you
can create man readable links to recordings in man readable
subdirectories.  Then you just have to tell your backup script which
of those subdirectories to backup/ignore.

FYI: On my setup I have a partition on a RAID-5 array for all my myth
data: recordings and mythvideo.  I don't archive anything (it is
deleted after I watch it).  But for some shows I wait for the entire
season to record before I watch it (nobody better tell me what is
happening in this season's Lost!).

> I just kept the standard of Mythbuntu. The recordings are mpg. I have no
> idea about the resolution. Where can I find that value?
>
> I know, these are questions of a bloody newbie, who in the first place
> tries to get familiar with the ideas and concepts behind MythTV. Sorry
> for that.

Well in my experience mythtranscode works well on standard definition
mpeg-2 recordings (like from the hauppauge pvr-x50 capture cards).
But it doesn't work so great on recordings from HD ATSC mpeg-2 (like
from Silicon Dust HDHomeRun OTA) or H.264 recordings (like from
Hauppauge HD-PVR).  I have all my standard definition recording rules
set to auto-transcode after commercial flagging.  But I don't cut the
commercials out.

-Ryan