[mythtv-users] IOBOUND errors after kernel upgrade from 2.6.31 to 2.6.32

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri May 7 16:48:12 UTC 2010

On Friday 07 May 2010 10:36:24 am John Drescher wrote:
> > From what I've read, the kernel folks seem determined to push ext4 out
> > the door, ready or not, I'm not sure why.
>
> It's been working well for me for over 2 years. That is since kernel
> 2.6.26 and ext4-dev. And I not talking about just Mythtv usage. I use
> it at work with at least 10TB of medical image storage. I am not using
> barriers and I also am not updating kernels frequently. So possibly
> that is why it has gone well for me.

I just don't like to see ext4 used as a test bed.

I miss the old "odd/even" model for kernel development, you could use an even
kernel if you wanted stability, and an odd one if you wanted to go "bleeding
edge" and accept the risks. Things could be tested on the development tree
before moving them to the stable (even) tree once proven reliable.

Linus eliminated the odd/even system, saying that by doing do he was "making
kernel development smoother".

"Smoother" perhaps, for the developers, not necessarily for the users, who are
now treated as guinea pigs.