[mythtv-users] Wintv-PVR-USB2 and Virtual box. Am I going to far?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri May 7 18:37:53 UTC 2010

On 5/7/2010 14:14, jrlowry376 at comcast.net wrote:
>> Why do you need to use virtual machines to consolidate hardware?
>>
> VB will allow me manage memory and to some extent cpu
> resources used by the myth.

Why would you want to?  Mythcommflag and mythtranscode can be 'niced' so
they don't impede other processes.  If you artificially govern the
database and backend, MythTV will just become slow to respond as it is
waiting on the database or scheduler to finish.  The database and
backend will use however much memory they want, and nothing you do
externally can reduce that.  If you limit them to less memory than they
want, something will be randomly terminated by the kernel, and you won't
like the results.

Virtualization will only serve to increase memory usage, as you lose the
ability to use shared libraries, and you are going to duplicate
everything in the disk cache.

> It will also provide me with an easy way to do upgrades,
> just duplicate the base OS virtual disk image and compile.

So what? Even a basic 'chroot' will allow you to do that.