[mythtv-users] Wintv-PVR-USB2 and Virtual box. Am I going to far?

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Sat May 8 09:59:42 UTC 2010

2010/5/8 Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>:
> On 5/8/2010 04:36, Kenni Lund wrote:
>>
>> 2010/5/7 Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>:
<SNIP>
>> Running the backend in a virtual machine gives you lots of other
>> advantages. Often you want to run a completely stable -fixes system
>> for the family, but once in a while you run into a problem, and you're
>> asked to test if some patch or configuration change solves the issue.
>> Or perhaps you just want to test some new feature in MythTV.
>>

> This has nothing to do with virtualization.  You can achieve the same effect
> with isolated containers, simple chroot, or even by just by using separate
> prefixes and manipulating the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables.

You're absolutely right that it's possible, but I think the keyword
here is "simplicity" :) You spend some hardware resources in exchange
for simplicity. If you don't want (or know how) to manage libraries
etc, virtualization is an easy way to run multiple instances in
parallel.

> This is the only advantage of true virtualization, the ability to run
> multiple, fully independent operating systems. Virtualization is not the end
> all solution to all problems.  It's the computer equivalent of fixing things
> by hitting them with a sledge.  It's overkill where a much simpler approach
> will achieve the same results.

Simple from a *technical point of view* or from a *users perspective*?