[mythtv-users] Comcast just made things worse

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat May 8 18:00:51 UTC 2010

On Saturday 08 May 2010 11:38:38 am Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> We had our roof replaced in 2002. Chucked the antenna that was up there.
> >>
> >> Kicking myself now.
> >
> > Don't kick too hard. It's likely that the antenna on your roof was for
> > VHF, or maybe VHF/UHF. Today you want a UHF antenna (unless you live in
> > the few markets that still use VHF).
> >
> > Though maybe you could have re-used the mounting hardware.
>
> Is VHF really that uncommon after the switch to digital?  I'm in NJ
> and the New York area has 7 (ABC) 11 (WB) and 13 (PBS), and the Philly
> are has 6 (ABC) and 12 (PBS), all of which moved their digital signal
> to their original VHF frequency as of the switch.  (God knows *why*
> Philly ABC decided to use 6 which is known to be a really bad
> frequency for digital...it works like crap just as expected.)
>
> I've read of a whole lot of people who got burned before the switch
> putting up UHF only antennas and finding out they needed a combination
> after the switch.  I happened to buy a combination because I was still
> picking up the analog channels...good thing.

The real problem is stations on low-band VHF (2-6), the Philly channel 6
(WPVI-DT) is not running at all that much power, making the selection of
channel 6 an even worse decision.

High-band VHF (7-13) is better than low-band. I have not seen any low-VHF/UHF
antennas, but they would be useful to many folks who live where there are VHF
stations but no low-band ones.

37 stations are on low-band VHF after the switchover, not many, but more than
I thought.

More information is here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12890633#post12890633

I'm familiar with the situation in NJ, I worked for WWOR for many years. You
are in one of the worst situations in the country, if you are trying to
receive both NYC and Philly.

Of course where I am now (Cheyenne) we have a total of ONE OTA station
available, making an antenna not much of an option. Denver analog stations on
Lookout Mountain could be received here, but digital reception is nonexistent.