[mythtv-users] Comcast bricked me above 33 so I bricked Comcast with my wallet

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat May 8 20:34:57 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 5:44 AM, Matthew Zimmerman <mzimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 6:24 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Comcast is gone from my TV viewing life and replaced by DirecTV.
>>
> This probably won't work for everyone, but the wife and I ditched
> everything in lieu of OTA antenna.  I've found that when given the
> option to record things and watch them later, I am never at a loss for
> good content.  Even only having just the major networks, I still have
> content I enjoy ready anytime I want it.
>
> I do miss some sporting events and other programs that aren't carried
> on the main networks, but I don't have a single per month fee...

Just reporting in after 1 1/2 weeks of life without Comcast

1) DirecTV in HD kills Comcast SD and is costing me less to boot. Far
less if I had ever paid Comcast for HD which I didn't.

2) The DirecTV DVR is a reasonable product for more or less being a
freebie. DirecTV gives you two rooms without extra costs and their
current deal was 2 free HDTV hardware choices, so I got one receiver
and one DVR. (2 DVRs cost extra money.)

3) I can record any channel I subscribe to which I wasn't able to do
with the HDHR.

4) I won't get 100 hours of HD recording with their DVR - more like
60-70 - but the guy at the store said I could hook up extra storage on
the USB port.

5) I VERY much miss Myth's programming model. The DVR isn't very smart
about finding ways to get all my programs recorded and has a very
limited priority model so it's a bit hit and miss. We haven't missed
getting too many things recorded, but we have missed a couple.

6) I miss mythcommflag. With the DVR I Can just jump 30 seconds
forward, 6 seconds back. It works but it's a little slow.

7) Still no ability to stream to my PC in the office. Requires Windows
7, HDCP monitors and video card and will NOT work in VMWare like
NetFlix. Maybe in a few weeks when I get a new laptop but not yet.

At this point I don't know how to set up my dream system using DirecTV
and Myth. If there were PCIe component video in cards that could
record then TTBOMK that is not encrypted and potentially Myth could
work with that. I don't have anything special in my old 480p HDTV and
that plays, so likely it could be recorded. They may or may not play
higher defs on component though. I don't know.

For anyone considering setting up a SD system - likely not many - I
think DirecTV with IR Blaster type control is a very reasonable target
system. I get a lot of high-def material through NetFlix so I don't
really care what I record in Myth, but I understand others have
different goals.

Cheers,
Mark