[mythtv-users] HD-PVR /dev/lirc does not exist

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat May 8 21:07:30 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Captain Krypto <captainkrypto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a guess, but is the service started?
>
> "service lirc start"

The device node /dev/lirc0 is created when the lirc kernel driver
successfully loads, not when lircd is started.

> I had the same problem on FC10 so I just added something like this to
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local :
>
> if [ ! -e /dev/lirc0 ]; then
> mknod /dev/lirc0 c 61 0
> chown root:root /dev/lirc0
> chmod 660 /dev/lirc0
> fi
>
> Kinda hackey, but it worked.

Um. No. It didn't. Trust me. The only thing it might possibly have
done is make lirc happy because its got a device node to connect to
before the driver is actually registered. Current lirc will actually
happily start up and wait for the device node to appear. But a driver
*must* get loaded and *must* register an lirc device for something to
actually be backing /dev/lircX. Simply creating the device node does
NOT accomplish that.

> This post might help:
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/lirc-linux-remote-control-isnt-setting-up-dev-properly-udev-problem-599664/

No, the real answer is this: the hdpvr ir enable patch was
accidentally dropped from the Fedora kernels when they were rebased
from 2.6.31 to 2.6.32, and I haven't got around to putting it back in
place. In other words, its not going to work until he's got an hdpvr
driver patched to enable the ir part.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com