[mythtv-users] Comcast bricked me above 33 so I bricked Comcast with my wallet

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sat May 8 21:34:11 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 1:53 PM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> <SNIP>

>>> John,
>>>   Thanks for the info.
>>>
>>>   It's been my reading looking at the HDPVR spec page at Hauppage
>>> that it only has one component video in? IF I wanted to record 2 or 3
>>> HD programs then doesn't that get quite expensive?
>>
>> correct.
>>

> Are there any HDMI devices - especially internal cards - that we know
> of that allow content protected material to be recorded and played
> back by Myth?

Part of the HDMI spec, is copy protection all the way through to the
display device.  While not all STBs turn that copy protection on, most
do, and they probably all will before long.  The only sure way of
being able to record is to keep it in the analog domain which does not
have copy protection.  That is why Hauppauge went with a component
capture device instead of HDMI.

Turning 1920x1080i or 1280x720p analog video into H.264 takes quite a
bit of muscle.  That is why the Hauppauge HD-PVRs are external
devices, and why they are as expensive as they are.  If you really
think about it, the HD-PVR is actually fairly inexpensive for what it
does compared to a ATSC/QAM capture device.

BTW, the HD-PVR uses a 5v/3a wall-wart.

Personally, I use a HDHomeRun hooked up to an antenna to get all the
OTA stations.  I only use the HD-PVR hooked up to the STB for the
non-OTA stations.  The vast majority of my recording is via OTA, and I
really could probably get by with just one STB/HD-PVR combo, but I
decided it was worth the extra $ to have a second one.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?