[mythtv-users] Comcast bricked me above 33 so I bricked Comcast with my wallet

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat May 8 21:43:02 UTC 2010

On Saturday 08 May 2010 03:35:24 pm Douglas Peale wrote:
> On 05/08/2010 02:20 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Are there any HDMI devices - especially internal cards - that we know
> > of that allow content protected material to be recorded and played
> > back by Myth?
>
> No. They are not legal in the US and most other countries. Though that in
>  itself is a crime.

I wouldn't go that far. There are legitimate uses for something like the
HDFury, video editors come to mind, or use by people with the legal right to
store or copy the content.

If the intent is to circumvent any "protection" mechanism then it is probably
a violation of the DMCA, as is any discussion of the matter. Welcome to the
Land of the Free.

The MPAA says that if you wish to assert your fair use rights, you should just
aim a camcorder at the screen.