[mythtv-users] "Watch Recordings" some frontends slow, some fast?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat May 8 23:07:31 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 05/08/2010 02:22 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>>
>> I'm noticing that some of my frontends are very fast browsing through
>> the "Watch Recordings" list and some are quite slow. for example, I
>> have one machine that is a C2D with a GT220 and my macbook (C2D,
>> nvidia), both connected to the same switch connected to the rest of
>> the house network (with a remote backend in the basement). The macbook
>> is able to scroll through the Watch Recordings list very quickly,
>> whereas the other machine is very very slow.
>>
>> This occurred with 0.22 and I just upgraded everything to 0.23 and the
>> same exact thing happens with both, so I'm assuming its a setting or
>> something somewhere, I just can't for the life of me figure out what
>> or where.
>>
>> anyone encounter a similar occurrence and know what's going on?
>>
>> thanks!
>>

> System times that differ on the frontend(s)/backend(s), NFS configuration
> issues for recordings directories, $HOME/.mythtv/*cache issues (permissions,
> slowness due to NFS configuration issues) can all cause the behavior you're
> seeing.  Might also be able to cause if with misconfigured storage groups
> (such as using different mount points for the same directories on different
> hosts).

actually, in playing around, I'm noticing that it looks to be the
shows that don't have downloaded fan art for the background that are
slow, as though mythfrontend is waiting for the image to download, and
if there isn't one it just waits some period of time before becoming
responsive again. So if I'm in a specific show with fan art for the
background it moves between episodes fairly quickly, but if it's a
show without, then it's very slow.

thanks!
--
Steve