[mythtv-users] Terra theme, 24 hour time

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Sun May 9 03:31:56 UTC 2010

> As I see it, you're making life harder than it has to be. You have two
>
> 1) Improve WAF by altering the theme.
> 2) Improve Wife by teaching her to use proper time. Seriously, what is
> this AM/PM garbage? There's 24 hours in a day.
>
> One of these things is probably easier than the other ;)

lol... of course it's easier to alter the theme.  And I probably will.  It
just frustrates me that we are taking steps backwards when the clear
disadvantage of Mythtv (vs other similar software like XBMC) is it's UI.
 Our themes need to be fast, flexible, and most importantly user friendly.
 Restricting one of the most user friendly themes to a 24hour clock (which
requires extra thought for most people) automatically makes MythTV less user
friendly by a small degree.

If we are going to package a theme with mythtv, as a community we need to be
sure that the themes represent the quality of the entire product, not just
the themer's work.  I am certainly not suggesting that Terra be dropped as
an "official" theme, only that it be improved upon.

Rather than forcing a 24 hour clock, perhaps they could display a 12 hour
clock using HH:MM format.... most people know if it's AM or PM, most of the
clocks in the world don't bother with telling us AM or PM.  If that's not an
option (due to a limitation of the software) then just make the space wide
enough for the AM or PM to fit... would a few more pixels really hurt the
overall appearance more than this restriction on appearance.

If there were hundreds of high quality themes to choose from, then I would
be all for letting the authors have complete reign over their creations.
 But there are only a few "official" themes, lets see that they move forward
and not back as they evolve.

If