[mythtv-users] Cannot scan for channels

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Mon May 10 00:39:47 UTC 2010

Hello all,

  I'm installing MythTV on Fedora 12 i386 using the rpmfusion
repository.  Everything seems fine as for as the installation
goes, following the simple instructions on the MythTV wiki.  The
card is a PVR-500 dual tuner.  This box previously hosted
Mythdora 5 as well as an older Mythdora version and television programs were
recorded successfully.

  Here are the current video devices:

crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 0 may 9 19:40 /dev/video0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 5 may 9 19:40 /dev/video1
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 3 may 9 19:40 /dev/video24
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 8 may 9 19:40 /dev/video25
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 1 may 9 19:40 /dev/video32
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 6 may 9 19:40 /dev/video33

  I'm assigning video0 and video1 as these two were used
previously with Mythdora.  So I presume they're still working.  I
have no idea what the others are about.

  There are no 'scan for channels' option available in
mythtv-setup.  They are greyed out or otherwise no clickable.
The rest of the configuration is OK, but there's no scan that can
be done.  I'm not using Schedules Direct at the moment (will do
when I see the system working, though).  So I'd simply like to scan for channels for the two tuners (one is cable direct, the other is the S-video output of the cable box) to see if the video inputs are OK.

  Could it be that there's no access from user space to these
devices ?  Is it possible to test the functionning of these video
devices in a very basic way outside of MythTV ?

Thanks!