[mythtv-users] NEW: stb-command (enhanced version of sa3250cmd)

Christian Szpilfogel chrisznews4 at rogers.com
Mon May 10 00:54:56 UTC 2010

Hi Folks,

I've been meaning to do this for quite a while but I never had success
with my Scientific Atlanta boxes so had abandoned doing the panel commands.

However, I was inspired by Mike Hanson having success on his Motorola
set top box and a strong need by a number of people who have been asking
for additional commands particularly on the Motorola set top boxes. So I
continued the work today and implemented a vast swath of the Panel
passthrough commands. These commands are meant to emulate a user
pressing buttons on the set top box panel or on their remote.

Because I only have the Scientific Atlanta boxes (SA3250HD and SA4250HD)
I am unable to verify my code but it should work on other set top boxes
such as the Motorola ones.

I've generalized the code to make it simple to add variations in the
future and I have added some new switches including one for triggers
based on say key press vs key release.

If this proves useful to people then I will look to do the "function"
commands as well. The channel changers typically use the "tune_function"
for example. These are more complicated but I think I know how to
generalize these functions now. They will prove useful for people who
want to play with playback speeds or simply have one program to do
everything.

The new code is at: http://code.google.com/p/stb-command/

Please let me know what success/failure you have had and exactly which
set top box you tried it on. I will in turn document these on the
project's page and modify code of appropriate. If you made changes to
make a particular set top box work then I would like to capture this too.

Christian