[mythtv-users] "Watch Recordings" some frontends slow, some fast?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon May 10 02:05:20 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 19:07 -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> actually, in playing around, I'm noticing that it looks to be the
> shows that don't have downloaded fan art for the background that are
> slow, as though mythfrontend is waiting for the image to download, and
> if there isn't one it just waits some period of time before becoming
> responsive again. So if I'm in a specific show with fan art for the
> background it moves between episodes fairly quickly, but if it's a
> show without, then it's very slow.

Fanart downloading and remote frontend video playback startup were the
two things I did not address in the 0.23 Watch Recordings optimizations.
The remote frontend problems I'm addressing now as part of the
ProgramInfo refactor ( http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8406 ), but I
don't understand the fanart code well enough to try to mess with it.
I pointed out the problems with the fanart code to Robert McNamara last
year and he had plans to look at it before the 0.23 release, but then
he simply didn't have time to do so before 0.23-fixes was branched.

Themes without fanart are as responsive in 0.23 as they were before
the MythUI port.

The two major things missing in 0.23 that were present before the MythUI
port are video preview and accelerators. But those simply aren't high
enough priority for me to address myself. I would look seriously at any
patches that fixed those regressions. Hardware accelerated video
preview was added the day before video preview was removed, so that
should be used as a starting point for fixing that regression, and
accelerators should be themeable so they can work with themes using
different orientations.

-- Daniel