[mythtv-users] OT: LED or Plasma (was Advice on choosing a TV)

James Thorpe james at tfxsoft.com
Mon May 10 10:18:20 UTC 2010

On 10/05/2010 10:30, Phil Wild wrote:
> On 10 May 2010 16:18, James Thorpe<james at tfxsoft.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 10/05/2010 09:13, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>>
>>> apparently Samsung isn't a good option in the UK, because they have a
>>> problem with 50Hz sources. :-(
>>>
>>> Paul.
>>>

>> Yep - wish I'd known that when we bought ours!  Fantastic TV in every regard
>> except the HDMI will only run at 60Hz @ 1920x1080.  If anyone has any
>> workarounds to stop the video being quite as jittery (though I have sort of
>> got used to it now) I'd love to hear them!
>>

> I am using JYA's repo and have set up myth to reset the refresh to
> match the video source and the panel quite happily switches from 50Hz
> for recordings to 60Hz for other sources. I can confirm this using the
> info displayed in the top left hand corner when the signal is synching
> 1920x1080 at 50Hz or 1920x1080 at 60Hz
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil

I've got a series 5 - I've tried manually configuring mythbuntu to run
at 50Hz all the time (I only watch TV through myth right now - no other
videos etc), but the TV just flatly refuses to switch - I'm pretty sure
when I finally got round to checking the manual it too said it only runs
60Hz - I've certainly not seen the info in the top left say anything
else while I've been attempting to change the resfresh rate.  Perhaps I
should take another look at see if it supports 50Hz at lower resolutions
- we don't watch much HD stuff at the moment anyway.

Cheers,
James.