[mythtv-users] Recommendation for a tuner card

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon May 10 16:42:05 UTC 2010

On Monday 10 May 2010 10:31:18 am Patrick Doyle wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > On Monday 10 May 2010 10:13:04 am Patrick Doyle wrote:
> >> I believe that my WOOT special USB stick tuner did not survive a
> >> recent power outage for some reason, so I need to purchase a new tuner
> >> card.  Would anybody care to to recommend an ATSC (and preferably QAM
> >> too) tuner card that works well with Myth?  It doesn't need to be USB.
> >>  If it were known to have better sensitivity (i.e. can pick up signals
> >> better) than some other card, that would be a definite plus.
> >
> > The obvious answer would be an HDHR.
>
> Thanks... I'll go look at that.
>
> > As for sensitivity, the problem is that most postings here related to
> > that subject are very subjective, and may not relate to your particular
> > situation.
>
> There is a specific objective sensitivity measurement that can be made
> for radio receivers.  It's not typically published for consumer grade
> electronics.  For mass market electronics that are all based on the
> same design, or a very small number of designs, there may be no
> difference in sensitivity.
>
> But if there is one receiver that performs better than others, I
> figured folks on this list would know that.  So I figured I'd ask.

Part of the problem is that tuners have become commodity items. Manufacturers
use whatever they can get at the best price, and often change tuners like we
change socks.

Even the venerable Hauppauge PVR series used many different tuner modules
throughout its lifetime.

You can't assume that just because one particular unit works well, another one
with the same model number will also do so.

So if someone reports "great sensitivity" with a particular product, you can't
assume that the one next to it on the shelf will perform as well.

Some people have reported that the HDHR is not as sensitive as some other
products (though specific data is lacking), and others have said that recent
production units are somehow "better". I take such reports with a large grain
of NaCl. I use my HDHR with a cable system, where levels are generally high
enough to not be a problem, I've been very happy, but someone using an antenna
might have a different opinion.