[mythtv-users] Advice on IR blasters

Michael Tiller michael.tiller at gmail.com
Tue May 11 15:06:11 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 11 May 2010 07:57:12 am Michael Tiller wrote:
> > So I'm interested in low maintenance alternatives.  I've seen notes that
> >  say the MCE-USB IR devices are supported out of the box but I've seen
> >  other posts saying they don't have very good transmission strength.
>  I've
> >  seen mention of USB-UIRT devices they seem a bit pricey and don't even
> >  seem to come with an emitter (just a port for it) and I've not clear how
> >  good the support for them is.
>
> What you really want is a USB MyBlaster, sadly they are no longer made.
> They
> came in serial and USB versions, and are great, from opening the box to
> working perfectly took me less than 10 minutes. Best $50 I ever spent on
> Myth
> gear.

As a matter of fact, I have a MyBlaster.  Sadly, it is the serial variety.
:-(

> Have you checked the WiKi?

Yes, but the problem is that I don't really know what is well supported in
MythBuntu.  Furthermore, as you found, it is hard to find the devices
mentioned/recommended.  For example, the CommandIR devices are sold out in
the US.  Similarly, I had a hard time finding any MCEUSB devices (e.g. this
one is "unavailable"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880121002).  I feel
like I just keep hitting dead ends when researching this which is very odd
since I have to assume lots of people use them?!?

--
Mike