[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu SaskTel IPTV

Darwin Gardypie gardypie at gmail.com
Tue May 11 17:00:33 UTC 2010

 I have been working on getting Mythbuntu 10.4 setup and am running into a
lot of problems when I introduce a IPTV network tuner to the backend:

I have been working with this post a lot:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Sasktel_IPTV

This has given me some very valuable information about getting the system up
and running

But once I get the network tuner setup according to the wiki i loose access
to the backend and get no inputs

I turned off network manager this seems to help a bit

I am using a d-link switch to get network from 2Wire gateway however have
eth1 plugged directly into the 2Wire router

I could force watching TV by booting only eth0 this allows the backend to be
accessed then plug eth1 in for streaming tv this provides a way to watch tv
sometimes however the tuning is super slow

A few times I got the system to work where I did not get Internet access but
was streaming IPTV

I had to achieve this by using a USB ethernet on eth2 then once I have
access to the backend I would launch tv then would see partial lock then
unplug the usb ethernet then get a LAM lock

I have since introduced a new network card to replace the USB but this does
not seem to help and when i remove this ethernet I do not get a LAM lock

I am pretty frustrated and would like to see examples of the two files:
"interfaces and dhclinet.conf" of members that have IPTV running with the
backend

Using examples I could figure out what my problem is as I am great at
reverse engineering

I will attach my interfaces and dhclient.conf files

I would like some advice from that guy who posts on here that has gotten
SaskTel to work with mythtv

I am considering installing mythtv from scratch (I work well with Ubuntu but
favor SUSE) as I am knowledgeable of Linux but no expert but would this be
easier to get my network cards to work properly or introduce more complexity
in getting IPTV and Internet to work in sync.

In your opinions what is the Distro that works best with MythTv and IPTV and
can you point me in that direction?

INTERFACES FILE

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo eth0 eth1
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface eth1 inet dhcp
        # Set up the hardware (MAC) address
        hwaddress ether 00:21:80:xx:yy:zz

        # Ensure IGMP is v2 and rp_filter is OFF
        pre-up echo 2 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth1/force_igmp_version
        pre-up echo 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth1/rp_filter

        # Ensure multicast requests are routed to this interface
        up route add -net 224.0.0.0/4 eth1

DHCLIENT.CONF FILE

interface "eth1" {
   # Note, no "routers" in this request. The default gateway for the IPTV
   # connection won't route internet traffic. So if we don't ask for one,
   # we don't lose our 'net access
   request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, domain-name, host-name;

   # The DNS server given to us is wrong, and will not look up any sites.
   # override this with one we know is good (In this case, the gateway address
   # for eth0.
   supersede domain-name-servers 192.168.1.254;

   # Hello Mr. DSLAM, I am a VIP1200 box
   send host-name "CED002180xxyyzz";
   # See my shiny Motorola-assigned hostname?
   send dhcp-client-identifier 01:00:21:80:xx:yy:zz;
   # See my pretty Motorola-assigned MAC address?
   send vendor-class-identifier "MotoVIP1200P_sasktel-6.2.0.011";
   # And see my sasktel firmware provided ID string?
   # Please can I have a 10.110 range IP address?
   # I'm really not faking this!
}

xxyyzz represent the mac addresses of my SaskTel box

Does it matter that my m3u file is on the internet and my system cannot
access the internet when watching tv because i am streaming UDP from
10.xx.xx.xx?

I tried to install the m3u on my desktop like 9.4 but it does not seem to
want to access the m3u locally on the machine.

Is there a more detailed Wiki of setting up IPTV and Mythtv especially on
the networking side of things?

Is the hub that important to IPTV then the swirch I am using now?

I tested to see if i could get ip addresses on my belkin router and it gave
addresses to two of my eth0 and eth2

However this did not let me into the backed either.

Please help me I am at my whits end.

btw I am running a quad core intel on a P5N-E SLI MOBO 4 GIG RAM and a
9800GT

I also think the internal ethernet on my mobo may be a problem and I ordered
a PCI-E ethernet as my only 2 open PCI slots are ethernet.

Thank you in advance,