[mythtv-users] analog recordings won't play with some devices (long and confusing)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 11 17:12:14 UTC 2010

On 05/11/2010 12:32 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> From: Michael T. Dean
> | If nothing else, I recommend changing your recording profiles to all use 720
> | width.  So, for NTSC, 720x480; or for PAL, 720x586.
>
> I will try that.
>
> Is there a good writeup on choosing or designing recording profiles?
>
> My recordings do show the whole width, as far as I can tell.  I
> assumed/guessed that using a width smaller than 720 would just reduce
> the file size (and quality) of recordings.

Only bitrate reduces the file size.  I'd recommend bitrate of about 4500
average/6000 max for 720x<height>.  See
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/215461#215461 (and
the linked tutorial) for more info and a nice graph (though the graph is
assuming a pretty dirty source, it seems, as the bitrates are pretty
conservative).

Mike