[mythtv-users] Mixing MythBuntu with "normal" Ubuntu

Michael Tiller michael.tiller at gmail.com
Tue May 11 18:13:26 UTC 2010

I've been using MythBuntu for some time and I really appreciate all the
effort into making an "out of the box" distribution for running MythTV.

My new FE/BE is running MythBuntu 10.04 and I have another machine already
running "normal" Lucid 10.04 that I'd like to use as a slave backend (and
perhaps occasionally run a FE on).

I'm wondering what complications will come in this setup.  Is it OK to mix
the version of MythTV that comes with Lucid with the one that comes with
MythBuntu?  I would guess (although I'm not sure how I would verify this)
that MythBuntu just uses the "upstream" version of MythTV from Lucid with a
bunch of additional utilities and niceties thrown in but it seems possible
that perhaps they are completely different builds (hence the potential
problem).

I suppose the main concern is simply that the DB schema might change between
the two versions and this seems like it could create serious problems.  Am I
worrying about nothing here?

Finally, if I install the mythtv tools on a normal Lucid machine, is there a
way to prevent any configuration that auto logs me in and runs the FE, etc?
I know I could probably easily undo these kinds of things (which would be
really nice for a real FE) but I'm just wondering if there is a simple way
to side step it.

Thanks for any help.

--
Mike