[mythtv-users] What replaces irw when using atilibusb for the remote receiver?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed May 12 15:06:55 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Don Brett <dlbrett at zoominternet.net> wrote:
>> Not sure if there's a menu item you can select for that thing or not.
>> But basically, its a receiver that ties into the linux kernel's input
>> subsystem, and creates a device /dev/input/eventX for the remote, and
>> delivers keypresses to the system as if they were keyboard keys a la a
>> multimedia keyboard, more or less. You can use such devices with lirc
>> by telling lircd to use the devinput userspace driver instead of the
>> default driver (lirc kernel driver), and for device, pointing lircd at
>> /dev/input/eventX for the device (or more appropriately, as X may
>> change, at the symlink to /dev/input/eventX that should land in
>> /dev/input/by-id/<some-string-that-identifies-your-receiver>).
>>

>>> I also noticed the database was hosed, with dozens of these errors in
>>> /var/log/mysqld.log
>>>

>>> 100509 22:53:21 [ERROR] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Incorrect key file for table
>>> './mythconverg/program.MYI'; try to repair it
>>> 100510 20:52:26 [ERROR] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Table './mythconverg/people'
>>> is
>>> marked as crashed and should be repaired
>>> 100510 20:52:29 [ERROR] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Table
>>> './mythconverg/program'
>>> is marked as crashed and should be repaired
>>>

>>> So, are the lircd errors a result of a corrupt database, or are they
>>> separate issues?
>>>

>> Separate issues. Definitely repair your db, but yeah, its not related.
>>

>>> If separate, how do I create the proper information for
>>> /dev/lirc0?
>>>

>> See above. :) There is no /dev/lirc0 for this device type.
>>

> Wow, great guess;

Not so much a guess as it is a case of knowing damned near every
device supported by all the popular lirc kernel drivers, having way
too many of them in my possession, and spending many many hours
hacking on pretty much all of the lirc kernel drivers over the past
few years... :)

> it is a keyboard device.  I opened a terminal and half the
> buttons give me characters on the command line.  Also, it created:
>
> /dev/input/by-id/usb-PHILIPS_ATI_Theater_Remote_Receiver-event-kbd
>
> I still need to adjust some of the buttons, so I guess I have to use lircd.
>  I'm a little confused on the instructions though.  How do I have to tell
> lircd to use devinput, and how to point lircd to
> /dev/input/by-id/usb-PHILIPS_ATI_Theater_Remote_Receiver-event-kbd?  By the
> way, is this worth doing?  I could just buy an inexpensive remote that plugs
> in with little effort.

All you need to do is a bit of editing in /etc/sysconfig/lirc. Set
LIRC_DRIVER="devinput" and
LIRC_DEVICE="/dev/input/by-id/usb-PHILIPS_ATI_Theater_Remote_Receiver-event-kbd"
in there, and from the lirc-remotes package (yum install lirc-remotes,
if need be), grab /usr/share/lirc-remotes/devinput/lircd.conf.devinput
and copy it to /etc/lirc/lircd.conf. Start up lircd, then give irw a
try, and it should spit out key names for you. Then its just a matter
of mapping those appropriately for mythtv via your lircrc file.

In the future, when mythtv grows native linux input layer support,
things will (hopefully) magically Just Work right out of the box... :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com