[mythtv-users] Advice on IR blasters

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Wed May 12 15:26:16 UTC 2010

On 5/12/10 10:26 AM, Scott wrote:
> On 5/12/2010 9:19 AM, mythtv at derdev.com wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 May 2010 11:26:28 -0400, Dan Wilga
>> <mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
>>> a completely different route. I've got one of these:
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FL9E6U
>>>
>> Dan, I'll give you the "second" to go write that wiki entry, sounds
>> interesting
> Dan that is really neat, i wish i had seen that device earlier, so
> theres no issues with lirc, no special setup steps?
> (just assuming a standard FE+BE running lirc alone setup)

Not really, but it's a little more complex to set up, because:
- In my case, the receiver is a networked device (HDHR)

- I'm still using a LIRC-based blaster on one FE

- Even if neither of the two above apply to you, you still have to find
several device codes in the remote's book to use (one for each FE). This
was a challenge, because not only did I want to use every button on the
remote without having to learn keypresses, I also had some trouble
getting irrecord to work with certain codes. (This may have been due to
the HDHR, I'm not sure.) Once you find a code that works, there's just
the tedium of learning all the buttons with irrecord, and modifying
lircrc on each FE to use them.