[mythtv-users] 0.23 and [no] video storage group question

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu May 13 12:41:55 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 22:35 +1000, Bill Williamson wrote:

> Or myth could feed external players a stdin stream, allowing almost
> all external players to work without any hairy programming :)

That assumes a player that is capable of reading stdin for content.

Usually this is a less-than-ideal method for a player to get it's media
file however as it precludes random seeking in the file for things like
skipping to and fro.

It really seems like there will always need to be a myth://->filesystem
conversion process.  That said, I have not used an external player in
years.  :-)

Although the "bleeding" across frames when skipping through some
"avi" (yes, I know it's just a container, but I don't know what's in it;
xvid maybe, or h.264 perhaps) in the native player sure is annoying.

b.