[mythtv-users] Problems with vdpau decoding HD content

Scott Russell list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Thu May 13 13:26:44 UTC 2010

On May 13, 2010, at 1:14 AM, Scott wrote:

> This is a general query to help me with my troubleshooting of a playback problem on my FE.
>
> I have an ASRock 330 ION loaded with Mythbuntu 10.04 and the 0.23-fixes SVN 24572. The system uses the VDPAU Normal profile and is configured for 512MB of GPU RAM in BIOS.
>
> Playback with both recorded 720p and 1080i (OTA ATSC from a HDHR) shows seems to run into a glitch. The show starts off fine and pausing, FF/RW, and commercial skip all work fine. At some point, usually 12-30 minutes, the video starts jumping and sometimes the audio too. I see "prebuffering pause" messages logged in mythfrontend.log.
>
> To resolve the problem I have to reboot the system. To be sure, the following does NOT resolve the problem:
>
> 1) pause/unpause the show
> 2) stop/start playback again
> 3) exit mythfrontned and start mythfrontend again
> 4) exit X11 and start it again
>
> Thoughts? Is anyone else having trouble with vdpau and HD recordings on 0.23?

Following up on my own status, I've tried the following additional steps. These have not resolved the problem:

1) Enabled OpenGL sync in MythTV settings
2) Verified 512MB of video memory was set in BIOS
3) Added UseEvents On to the xorg.conf
4) Reset FE back to default prefs (removed from FE prefs from converg.settings table on the BE)
	- Set theme to blue-abstract
	- Set audio out to ALSA:hdmi
	- Enabled DTS and AC3 pass through
	- Enabled VDPAU Normal profile

A log of the problem before I did these latest changes is available at:
http://pastebin.com/GZDB18CU

I started playback of a 720p source at time code 2010-05-11 22:13:08.711 and the video problem starts at time code 2010-05-11 22:18:17.811.

-- Scott