[mythtv-users] Getting a correct lineup for DishNetwork

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Fri May 14 13:41:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:52 PM, Marc Chamberlin
<marc at marcchamberlin.com>wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I am running version 0.22-1 of MythTV under SuSE11.2 and am a subscriber to
> Dishnetwork and one of their HighDef TV packages. I have got most of MythTV
> up and running now, and just figured out how to get MythTV to control their
> satellite settop box using an USB-UIRT. I capture the NTSC signal from their
> settop box and route it to an Hauppauge 350 PVR card. So now I am all
> excited about trying to do my first recording only to hit yet another hiccup
> (been a lot so far! lol)

Congratulations.  You have made it over the first big hurdle!

> I am not getting a complete lineup of all the channels that I should be. I
> have a subscription to SchedulesDirect and it appears that I have to
> subscribe to two separate lineups, one for DishNetwork Satellite and the
> other for Local Broadcast Listings. (Correct me if I am wrong on this) The
> lineup report for DishNetwork shows channel numbers starting at channel 72
> and the lineup report for my Local Broadcast Listings start with channel 2
> and end with channel 58. I am only getting the lineup for DishNetwork
> Satellite (starting at channel 72) and just channel 2 though it is
> mislabeled and does NOT represent my local channel 2 station.

You need to make sure you have set up your SD subscription properly.  By
logging into the SD website you should see your source(s).  You need to
select the source the represents what you have purchased from Dish.  Next
you need to select/deselect the channels that you either are not paying for
or do not want to see in your MythTV lineup.  If your local stations are not
showing up in the SD lineup, you should send an inquiry to the SD people
with that question.

> Mythtvsetup is awfully poorly documented so I probably am not doing
> something right to set it up, so as to retrieve both of these lineups
> correctly. In fact I am only retrieving the lineup for the DishNetwork
> Satellite and none of the channels from the Local Broadcast Listings is
> showing up. I think I setup the Video Source configuration dialog properly,
> choosing North America (SchedulesDirect.org)(Internal) for my Listings
> grabber and entered my user ID and Password for SchedulesDirect. And I
> clicked on Retrieve Lineups which immediate pops up a dialog box saying it
> is Fetching lineups from Schedules Direct... and instantly shows I am 50%
> complete! After a few minutes the dialog box simply disappears giving no
> hint as to whether it was successful or not.
>
> I don't think you are doing anything wrong.  You can only have one SD
lineup per video source.  I think you are being successful in retrieving
your lineup.

> The info in the Data Direct Lineup: changes to show "Local Broadcast
> Listings-LocalBroadcast-98671-PC:98671"  and if I navigate to it, and click
> on the right arrow it also shows "DISH Network-Satellite-98671-ECHOST. So to
> my untrained eyes it appears as if both of my lineups were retrieved ok... I
> got no idea whether leaving this set, to one or the other lineups, affects
> anything. But I have noted that this setting is not persistent (even if I do
> not exit Mythtvsetup!) and the next time I open the Video Source Setup
> dialog it will have reverted back to simply ECHOST, whatever that means....
>
> You see two lineups because you have built two lineups on the SD web site.
You have a second lineup based on OTA (antenna) channels.

> I have no clue as to what the checkbox for "Perform EIT Scan" does so I
> leave it unchecked as I found it. Nor do I have any idea what the Channel
> frequency table: setting does, so leave it set to default.
>
> You do NOT want to turn this on if you are using a grabber like SD.

> (BTW navigation in the Video source setup dialog is funky. When I reach the
> Channel frequency table it seems to end the ability to advance the cursor
> from there and not allow the cursor to advance to any other buttons or
> fields unless you reverse the direction you came from. Normally one would
> expect the cursor to simply advance through all the buttons and fields then
> wrap around and start over...)
>
> No comment here.  Been too long since I was in the setup menus.

> In the Connect source to input dialog I set up my Video source to
> DishNetwork which I had define. I do have a script I am using for the
> External channel change command which is working. I also have to preset my
> Hauppauge 350 tuner to channel 62 (which is the channel the DishNetwork
> settop box outputs the NTSC signal on, and I have no freaking understanding
> why they did not choose channel 3 or 4 like every VCR and DVD and settop
> boxes have done for years now!!!) In my context I do not know or comprehend
> what the buttons "Scan for channels" or "Fetch channels from listings
> source" would do or whether I should use them. "Scan for channels" seems
> outright weird and IMHO I should think it should be inactivated, since I am
> presetting my tuner to a fixed channel. I did click on the "Fetch channels
> from listings source" and it seems happy to do so, though it again gives no
> feedback on whether it was successful or not.
>
> You do not want to scan for channels.  You will populate your lineup from
the SD lineups.

> There is one other setting in this dialog that puzzles me, Starting
> channel: In my mind I am guessing that this should be channel 2 but every
> time I set it, then come back to the dialog later I find it set to some
> weird random number. There is a comment stating this is the "Starting LiveTV
> channel. This is updated on every successful channel change." So 'OK....' I
> am lost and confused! What is the purpose of this field? Why should I set it
> if it is going to be automatically set to some other value?
>
> This is the channel that your STB was last set to (or will be set to).  If
you select Live TV, this channel should be selected using your channel
changer.

> So my first hiccup to solve is how do I get a complete channel lineup
> configured in MythTV?  My second hiccup concerns the fact that when I looked
> at the lineup I got for DISH Network-Satellite, I noted upon close
> examination that it does not correspond 100% with the actual channels I
> receive through my settop box. There are a few extra channels and a few
> missing ones, but it appears to be about 90% correct. I asked support at
> DishNetwork about the difference, they pointed me to a website at
> http://tvlistings.zap2it.com where their internet listings are derived
> from. I noticed also that SchedulesDirect has references to Zap2It as well
> and indeed the listing on the Zap2it site is only about 90% correct also. So
> it appears that the problem resides between DishNetwork and Zap2It. Has
> anyone else noticed this discrepancy and figured out a way to solve it?
>
> This is not uncommon.  Again, send an inquiry to the SD support team with
the discrepancies.  They are pretty good at getting these problems resolved.

> Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions offered... I know I am
> getting close to having this working, hopefully only a few more hiccups and
> I will be there.. ;-)
>

> Good Luck!

-- Ken E.